Important Story for UK Trans People (and LGB allies)
Some people who keep up with current trans issues may know that an unknown trans man from the UK recently gave birth to a child biologically. It was reported in the Sunday Times newspaper after a journalist got hold of some information from the Beaumont Society.
If the man in question hasn’t stepped forward by now, then he probably doesn’t even want to be identified or talked to about this issue. However, this hasn’t stopped the press, and this anonymous man is now currently being subjected to a horrific, privacy-invading witch hunt by the UK tabloids.
The tabloids have reportedly been hounding trans organizations and high-profile trans people for information on the man’s identity and whereabouts.
The press claim that it is “in the public interest” that this man be identified to the wider public. However, it stands to reason that all they are probably looking for is a sensational story. This is evident by the fact that they obviously have no regard at all for this man’s right to privacy and anonymity.
The interim editor of the tabloid newspaper the Sun has also made some utterly deplorable comments, implying that the trans man should be exposed to the public because of “issues” with NHS funding of our treatment, the “welfare” of the child, and the fact that he could “turn out to be a serial killer”. No, REALLY. That’s the excuse they’re using for trying to force out a vulnerable person into the public eye and potentially putting them at serious risk of discrimination and violence.
What it amounts to is blatant prejudice, and the view that trans people are public property that have no right to their own privacy.
The Sun is acting disgustingly and hypocritically. Just last week, Helen Belcher of Trans Media Watch was invited to speak at the Leveson Inquiry into Press Standards, about the appalling way the press have treated transgender people. The Sun’s Managing Director spoke out in defense of the press, saying that they would endeavour to “mend their ways” when it comes to media coverage of transgender affairs. However, this seems now to be empty words and that the Sun has no intention of treating us any better than they did before.
Offering a cash reward to the public for the outing of a trans person is absolutely revolting, inexcusable and unacceptable.
If anyone living in the UK knows this man and is approached by a member of the media, or really ANYONE inquiring about the story (seeing as the tabloid media are known for using underhand tactics like hacking, stalking and undercover investigation) I urge you: TELL THEM NOTHING. Don’t say a word. You will be protecting a vulnerable person from potentially serious harm.
If you want more information, please read this article, from Pink News, as it has exclusive comments from the Sun editor and information about the ongoing Leveson Inquiry into Press Standards. If you are from the UK, I also please urge you to contact the Leveson Inquiry and also the Press Complaints Commission about this. Their contact information can be found on both websites.
Thanks for reading and spread the word. This horrible violation of privacy must not stand.
That is some fucked up shit.
Definitely going to be registering my complaints with the PCC and Leveson Inquiry.
- trapdragon likes this
- mormorcupcake reblogged this from touchingbutts
- vulon-zii likes this
- saotome-michi reblogged this from transpride
- humainsvolants reblogged this from tal9000
- queerherelisten reblogged this from transpride
- decisive-emu-victory reblogged this from melancholywise
- dodginglances reblogged this from fuckyeahftms
- grapecase likes this
- dodginglances likes this
- marisa-kirisame reblogged this from sophisticatedlesbian
- laureldickman reblogged this from blogzillaaaaa
- laureldickman likes this
- beingdanny reblogged this from transpride
- catchmeifyoucreon likes this
- orobolicious reblogged this from lapocketrocket
- blogzillaaaaa reblogged this from lapocketrocket and added:
- lapocketrocket reblogged this from madamethursday
- theycallmedrew reblogged this from transpride
- ectoplastic likes this
- s---s reblogged this from hear-me-rory
- deadpoollovesbea likes this
- alicetumblin reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- afoxykanaya likes this
- combeferret reblogged this from aquavitaecollective
- liz-the-wiz likes this
- roberttwatson reblogged this from brashblacknonbeliever
- titotibok reblogged this from jhameia
- sickboooogie reblogged this from madamethursday
- askouija reblogged this from madamethursday
- dayzed-confused likes this
- solemntree reblogged this from justjasper
- becomingamermaid likes this
- dftbrhi reblogged this from justjasper and added:
- miscella likes this
- chaoticmyths likes this
- lghtmp likes this
- justjasper reblogged this from madamethursday
- storyofaquietgirl likes this
- madamethursday reblogged this from jhameia
- jhameia likes this
- holothuroid likes this
- solarpillar reblogged this from fuckyeahftms and added:
- arcaneescapist reblogged this from tagath
- fracturedrefuge reblogged this from petalsyrup and added:
- the-willow reblogged this from macromolecute
- probablyhuman reblogged this from bittergrapes
- frankcoffee reblogged this from fuckyeahftms